Friday, January 6, 2012

That Post Where You Ask Yourself "What do you want to do with your life?"

What is it about the new year that makes us sit down and really think about our lives? Where we are today? Where we were yesterday? Where we would like to be tomorrow? I don't know about the rest of the world, but for me the month of January is a time when I think about these things and what I have to do to try to make something wonderful happen in the new year.

It's sort of a time to create that wish list - things I want to do or want to achieve or would even like to try - but may not ever get around to accomplishing them.

Take for instance - I would LOVE to learn how to decorate cakes. I am that person that you see in Michaels or Hobby Lobby who is stalking the items on the Wilton aisle. Daydreaming about the creations made out of fondant and icing. And to confess, at one time in my life I bought an absurd about of baking pans, all with the intention of baking and decorating cakes. I use them every so often (read: not much) and still dream about decorating cakes. I have decorator tips in my kitchen - along with a lot of cookie cutters - that never get used any more.

I have probably spent a fortune on scrapboooking supplies. Die-cuts. Punches. Albums. Stickers. Pins. All sorts of things. The last time I actually scrapbooked? Okay, so I made albums for my daughter and her three best friends last year and they were adorable and I had a great time doing them - but I was also glad when I finished and I stuck all of my supplies back into the closet. I have boxes of pictures. That I have not scrapbooked. I would hate to think of the fortune that is sitting in the closet - waiting.

I used to sew. Not clothing - just mostly pajama bottoms and things for the holidays. The last thing that was a major undertaking was my daughter's halloween costume in the fifth grade. Her costume was incredible. I made a poodle skirt when she was in the sixth grade, but I did the basic one cut design that was easy and didn't require any sewing on my part. I have a stack of fabric upstairs that I need to make myself make use of because no matter how hard I try, I cannot allow myself to get rid of it and it would make cute pajama bottoms and who doesn't wear those at some point?

Now that I have some spare time on my hands, I literally have been trying to think of something fun to do WITH MY HANDS. It is still a little bit too cold here to work outside in the yard and the flowers are all dead or dormant. I could clean up the islands. Trim back the trees. Clean up the deck and our screened in back porch. Clean out the garage, too.

I could paint a room in the house. I could think about design and how I'd like new curtains in the living room. I could pick out paint colors. Artwork. Change the bedrooms. Paint the laundry room.

The new year holds so many possibilities. I think the problem for me is that I have not had this type of free time on my hands in so long that it is a little unnerving. What should I do first? Where do I begin? How do I decide? Hopefully I will find my way soon.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I know how you feel. I love New Year's for the fresh start, anything-is-possible feeling. This year I have a lot that I want to do.

~Stephanie